Tuesday, May 20, 2014

When Did Reading Become Cool?

Today I asked a student what she was reading and she said “The Fault In Our Stars, it’s good but I don’t really like to read a lot. I know that’s weird and uncool or whatever.”

I was speechless. I stood there and blinked as I took in the fact that she’s just said NOT reading was uncool. When I was in high school, plenty of people hid the fact that they loved to read because it was considered boring, nerdy, and all around the antithesis of cool. Less than a decade later, a girl thinks the opposite is true.

Don’t get me wrong, I am all for reading being cool. (does that mean I'm official a cool kid?) But when did it happen?

It’s not just my students, now that I think about it. I read an article in Cosmo magazine last week by John Green and why adults read YA. IN COSMO. When I read magazines in high school there was almost no mention of books! It was make-up and kissing and clothes. And quizzes, lots of quizzes for everything.

For real, can someone tell me what has changed? Is it social media? Is it because I can now follow John Green on Instagram and Sarah Dessen on Twitter and Tessa Gratton on Tumblr? Are authors’ real lives more accessible to their readers so they find them cooler?

I have no clue. I am honestly asking for someone to clue me in here. I think it’s awesome but HOW!?!?!

In the meantime, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To reread or not to reread? That is the question.

I don't reread books that often. Sure, I've read the entire Harry Potter series too many times to count and a few others have snuck ...