Friday, July 19, 2013

Is sleep really the enemy?

On sloth: I have long wondered if sleep was my best friend or my worst enemy. If I believed in that sort of thing, I would be ferociously guilty of the sin of sloth. I love to lay in bed, drifting in and out sleep, for whole days at time. This is problematic. Every day off or free evening I should be glued to my desk with my notebook or laptop writing at the speed of light in an attempt to get words down, good or not. However, I often just crawl into bed and sleep whenever the opportunity arises. This makes writing hard, obviously.

On a different but related note: Due to some terrible scheduling problems between my two jobs I have been awake for more than 24 hours during which I have traversed New York, Pennsylvania, and Ohio. Right now I NEED sleep. It is taking all my faculties to type this, but I felt that it was an important realization to share. In my sleep-deprived delirium today, so many ideas came to me. So many perfect bits that needed working out. I wonder if some moderate level of perpetual sleep deprivation might actually increase my creative productivity.

I have reached the point where I can't actually think anymore so I'll just leave this here and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To reread or not to reread? That is the question.

I don't reread books that often. Sure, I've read the entire Harry Potter series too many times to count and a few others have snuck ...